Sunday, October 10, 2004

Tractor

1 point-non moving tractor
2p- working tractor
5p- tractor dealer
-5p= mis id'ing another piece of equipment as a tractor
10 bonus points!- animals humping
played much like "punch buggy" or pididel or bididel, only without the punching and kicking. We played the Driver all the way up to Paihia and he beat us soundly, 26 to 11.

I've been trying to post, but blogger seems to be hacked often here in NZ. I spent a couple of days in Auckland walking around, the museum, I hiked Rangitoto the volcano right off the coast. The good news is that NZ is an astoundingly beautiful country and Green, 98% green. The bad news is the reason it's so green is that it rains, all the time, all day long. Today being the first sunny day I've had since arriving. Yesterday I took a unimog (a giant offroad troop transport converted for tourists) all the way up 90 mile beach, on the beach to Cape Reinga, where the Pacific and the Tasman sea meet at the very top of the country. You can actually stand on the tip of the country and watch the two oceans collide in front of you. I've taken pictures but I'm sure it won't convey the power of that place. We also went sandboarding on the giant sand dunes. You hike to the top of a big old dune with a boogy board, then you lay down on it propped up on your elbows and hold onto the front corners, braking with your feet as you go like hell for the river at the bottom. Not as scary as the shovel races in Angel Fire. I'll tell you all about those when I have a connection I trust more.

I'm about to take a boat out around the Bay of Islands, then tonight I go back down to Auckland for 1 night heading south at 8 tomorrow morning. I've decided to not rent/but a car and instead I've signed up with the "Stray" bus. Unlike "Magic" and the "Kiwi Experience" the Stray bus seems to be filled with other people around my age. I haven't seen an American yet, but more on that later too.

3 Comments:

At October 11, 2004 at 10:39 PM, Blogger :: tk :: said...

You're having all these amazing water-experiences (diving, watching a sea meet an ocean), and I (you know, being "Pelagic" and all) am SO envious. No, the pictures will not convey the power of the experience, but I still can't wait to see them.

 
At October 12, 2004 at 2:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon, unfortunately you have chosen the wettest season to travel through NZ but I hope you get some fine days! The Bay of Islands is where my family is from and we still have a house a little beach up there. Its a magical place! If your have any more time in Auckland, I use to live in Ponsonby and on Ponsonby theres plenty of great cafes and bars. Also if your looking for some local music see if something is happening at the Kings Arms (http://www.muzic.net.nz/gigs/venue/28.html) which is near the top of Queen Street. Its been a while since I was home so I can't offer too much else in the way of local info. Enjoy Godzone! Lance

 
At October 12, 2004 at 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jon...
Sorry about that, you'd think I'd be up on this stuff. It's becca_greenberg@hotmail.com. Sorry it's raining...it's spring I guess right?
-Becca

 

Post a Comment

<< Home